Thursday, March 1, 2018

Guns and Mental Illness : A "Dear Congress" letter from the mother of a son with bipolar disorder and his experience in his own words






2016 Ted Talk by Eric Walton from Boise Idaho

The life of Eric Walton … mental illness and fear until the age of thirteen. Now, three years after diagnosis and treatment, Eric talks about what it is to have bipolar disorder, what it is to grow up surrounded by fear and stigma, and what each person can do to help fix the issues surrounding mental illness. He helps us understand, from the inside, his journey from fear to strength.

His mother Liza Long responds to the Parkland shooting:

“What worked best for my son was the correct diagnosis. But sadly, the level of treatment we were able to access because of my viral essay remains out of reach for many children and families. In my response to the Parkland shooting published on 'The Mighty'  and on my blog, 'The Anarchist Soccer Mom', I called on Congress and the NRA to fund research and treatment for mental illness"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Jill, thank you for posting this video, I enjoyed watching it as it has taught me new things. I have been following The DD News Blog for two weeks now as it was for a school assignment in my Developmental services worker program at Confederation College. Although I followed the blog for assignment purposes, I plan to continue following the blog as it has taught me new things as well to appreciate life and those around me a little more each day. Before watching the video, I was unaware of what bipolar disorder consisted of. Eric Walton is an inspiration and those who know him should be thankful.