This is an animation from the Madison House Autism Foundation
Where will 4.903 million individuals live?
Here are the facts:
There are 3.775 million people with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD), 77%, who do not receive publicly funded residential supports.
1.127 million people with I/DD, or 23% do receive publicly funded supports. Of those, 56% live with family and 44% do not live with family.
Of the 44% who do not live with family, 127,000k or 27% live in their own home. The other 73% live in group homes (290k), foster homes (44k), nursing facilities (34k), and less than 1k live in psychiatric facilities.
From 2001 to 2011, 275k additional people got residential supports: 180k stayed with family and 95k moved out.
77k are on the waiting list for services needed in the next year. 853k are living with caregivers aged 60 or over.
Remember: 3.775 MILLION OR 77% GET NO PUBLICLY-FUNDED SERVICES AT ALL!