Monday, November 5, 2012

Michigan HCBS Waiver Conference: November 28 & 29, 2012

Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid waivers fund services to targeted groups of people with disabilities who "but for the provision of such services" would require the level of care provided in a hospital, a nursing facility, or an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded (ICF/MR). These services are considered to be "medical assistance" and must be provided to eligible individuals in accordance with a written plan of care. Waivers available to adults with developmental disabilities are called Habilitation Support Waivers (HSW) in Michigan. They are also called 1915(c) waivers because they are described in Sec. 1915(c) of the Social Security Act.

The Michigan Department of Community Health & The Michigan Association of CMH Boards are sponsoring the "ANNUAL HOME AND COMMUNITY BASED WAIVER CONFERENCE", November 28 & 29, 2012 at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center, East Lansing, Michigan 48823

3 Featured Waivers:

  • Children’s Waiver Program (CWP)
  • Habilitation Supports Waiver (HSW)
  • Serious Emotional Disturbance Waiver (SEDW)
Conference Objective:  This conference will provide technical assistance and training on the implementation and maintenance of the 1915(c) waivers, clinical issues, and administrative functions relevant to these waivers.

Who Should Attend:  Case managers, supports coordinators, wraparound facilitators, clinicians, administrative staff, providers, people receiving services and family members.

Special Rate:  A special $20 conference rate will be offered for people receiving waiver services and their family members. A limited number of scholarships are available to people who receive services and their families. Scholarships may cover registration fees, overnight rooms, travel expenses, meals and child care.  Deadline to request scholarship: November 14, 2012. To request a scholarship form, contact Chris Ward at or 517-374-6848.

If you have any questions, call (517) 374-6848

Conference Registration Form

Conference Agenda


Susan Tanner said...

Jill, How do i find out where to apply for a habilitation waiver for my adult daughter with some disabilities? Thank you.

Jill Barker said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your comment. My email has been labeling comments from my blog as "junk".

You go through your local Community Mental Health agency. If you are already connected with them, ask your supports coordinator about services available under the waiver. There are a limited number of waivers statewide, but regardless of whether your daughter qualifies, the state is still required to provide people with DD with all the services that are "medically necessary". Almost all the services that are considered waiver services should also be available generally.

Services are determined through a person-centered planning process and the writing of an Individual Plan of Service.

Here is a blog post from 2011, with more information on HSW waivers.

I hope this helps.

Jill Barker

Jill Barker said...

This is the link to the 2011 blog post: