Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Michigan Home Help Services for people with disabilities

The Home Help Services Program is administered by the Michigan Department of Human Services and is paid for by Medicaid. It allows adults with developmental and other disabilities to receive help so that they can stay in their own homes or their family's home. Home Help funding is also given to people in supported living homes to supplement other services provided by the local Community Mental Health agency.

Home Help Services include preparing meals, clean-up and feeding, toileting, bathing, grooming, dressing, moving around the house, taking medicine, shopping, laundry, and light housework. People enrolled in the Home Help Services program employ their own provider who may be a friend or relative (including a parent if the adult-child is over 18 years old).

The number of hours paid for depend on a functional assessment of Activities of Daily Living and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living. The maximum amount of money available under regular home help services is $549/ month. Expanded Home Help Services for people who need more help pays up to $1300/month depending on the need for more services. Funding over $1300/month is possible with approval by the Michigan Department of Community Health.

To learn more about the program and to apply for benefits contact your local Department of Human Services. For Washtenaw County, contact:

Department of Human Services
22 Center St.
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Phone: (734) 481-2000

If your funding for services is decreased or denied, you must be given an Advance Negative Action Notice (a notice that tells you why the action was taken and your right to appeal the decision). You have the right to appeal the decision through a Medicaid Hearing. If you ask for the hearing before the date the action is to go into effect, the service and funding must continue until a decision has been made by a Medicaid hearing officer.  Here is a brochure explaining the basics of Medicaid Hearings.

As a guardian of a person in the Home Help Program, you may file for a Medicaid Hearing on behalf of the person, but you must send a copy of the Court Order from the probate court granting guardianship with your hearing request.

More information on Home Help Services is available in the Adult Services Manual. Click on the Independent Living Services Program Overview, Requirements, and Procedures (ASM 361, 362, and 363) for much more information on Home Help Services.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Home help is a type of service that is availed for such people who are suffering from illness or some disabilities and do not want to leave home for cure. Experienced and trained nurses are employed to take care of such patients.
Home help